The Happy New Year Cocktail - An Eve(ning) Of Fun Toasts
The Happy New Year cocktail is a drink mixed with brandy, ruby port wine, orange juice and champagne. Yes, it is named after the annual greeting and well wishing phrase uttered when the calendar cycle starts all over again, Happy New Year. However, it does get a little confusing.
Sort of similar to how The Classic Cocktail is an actual drink recipe but sounds like it is describing another one altogether as in; “The Resolution Martini would be a great Happy New Year cocktail.” You could have some fun with that at your party.
It looks like The Daily Cocktail: 365 Intoxicating Drinks and the Outrageous Events That Inspired Them by Dalyn Miller & Larry Donovan (2006) first published the Happy New Year cocktail recipe as their drink of the day for December 31st. Although made for celebrating New Year’s Eve, this would be a great recipe any time of the year and works really well for using up leftover champagne after a party as well.
Behind The Bar - How To Make A Happy New Year Cocktail
Note: You may want to have your toast prepared and ready to ring in the New Year before you begin mixing drinks for the celebration so you’re not caught off guard. Then you can party like there’s
no a tomorrow.
The Happy New Year Cocktail Drink Recipe:
- 1/4 oz brandy
- 3/4 oz ruby port
- 3/4 oz orange juice
- 3 - 4 oz Champagne
Mixing Instructions: Measure the brandy, port wine and orange juice into a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake well and strain into a Champagne flute. Top off with Champagne.
Variations Similar To The Happy New Year Cocktail
Drinks That Share At Least Two Ingredients In Common:
- American Beauty - brandy, dry vermouth, white creme de menthe, orange juice, grenadine and tawny port.
- American Rose - brandy, licorice liqueur, grenadine syrup and champagne.
- Classic Champagne Cocktail - sugar cube, aromatic bitters and Champagne with optional brandy for an IBA official drink.
- Chicago Cocktail - brandy, orange liqueur, aromatic bitters and Champagne.
- Coffee Cocktail - Cognac, ruby port, egg and sugar.
- Montana - Cognac, dry vermouth and port wine.
- Monte Carlo Sling - add peach brandy, lemon juice and orange bitters to a Happy New Year cocktail.
- Nelson’s Blood - Spanish port and French Champagne.
- Peach Sangaree - peach brandy, port and club soda.
- Poop Deck - brandy, blackberry brandy and port wine.
- Port Wine Cocktail - brandy and port. Use apricot brandy instead for a Tempter.
- Presto - brandy, sweet vermouth, orange juice and absinthe.
- St. Charles Punch - Cognac, ruby port, lemon juice, orange curacao and simple syrup.
- Soyer-Au-Champagne - brandy, ice cream, maraschino liqueur, curacao and champagne.
Happy New Year! (cocktail)